Monday, December 10, 2012

The 1963 Fleer Auto Project - Parts 10 and 11


After the Post Office decided to sit on my shipment to MAB Celebrity Services for over a week, I wasn't sure if I actually got my cards into their recent signing. It arrived on Friday afternoon before a weekend signing.  The cutoff was actually Wednesday and the person on the phone didn't know whether I would get in.  Getting all OCD, I called again on Monday and the (same) person didn't have any better information. So, I decided to wait and see what happened.  Late last week, the charge for the signing appeared on my bank card, so my confidence increased significantly.  However, having spent over 20 years in the business world, I have learned not to count my chickens before their hatched.

So to speak. I tried not to get too excited. Well, today a UPS package was waiting on the porch when I arrived today.   And here is what was inside:




Two members of the Hall of Fame!  I am pretty psyched about these cards.   I still have two more out for signings this coming weekend.  Plus, I found a killer deal on Ebay for a signed card from this set from a deceased player.  With the four future signings, I have a sight line on 17 autographed cards, out of 66 in the set.   This has been a lot of fun so far, but I think it is going to get harder as I go along. There is a fair number of other signed 1963 Fleer cards on EBay, but most of them are signed in ballpoint pen rather than Sharpie. Plus, some are in dodgy condition.  So, I haven't really decided what to do about them yet.  But, I suspect I am going to have to find them where I can. Time will tell, I guess. 

What I am listening to:  Our Town by Iris Dement (with a guest appearance by Emmylou Harris)

 

True story:  This song was played in the background of the final scene of the final episode of the TV series "Northern Exposure."  The very day I first heard this song played on an internet radio station my wife called and said she just watched the last episode of the show and really liked the song that they played as they rolled the credits. How is that for a coinky-dink?

No comments:

Post a Comment