Monday, June 6, 2011

Trip to the Card Shop Ballpark


Friday night was another Redhawks game, this one against the Round Rock Express. It was something of a homecoming as the Redhawks and Express swapped major league affiliates at the end of last year. The Round Rock field staff and many of the players played in OKC last year.

This one was a bit unusual in that the starting pitchers were both journeyman major leaguers. Starting for OKC was 37 year old Nelson Figueroa, who has played for 6 different major league teams over 9 seasons. 38 year old Brett Tomko started for Round Rock. He has played for 10 major league teams over 14 seasons. Tomko won the duel, pitching 5 scoreless innings while giving up only 5 hits and striking out 5. Figueroa, in contrast, was tagged for 8 earned runs in 4 1/3 innings and earned the loss. I thought he actually pitched better than that, with the Redhawks playing sloppy defense, including 3 errors. I am not sure how all those runs were earned, given the abysmal backing Figueroa got. But, I am not a scorer, so what do I know?








While I was there, I stopped by the team store and picked up packs of the 2008 and 2010 Redhawk cards. I had previously bought 2008, but got skunked out of a Nelson Cruz card, so I bought another and got it this time.


I also picked up a 36 card set of the top Pacific Coast League prospects, including these guys.





No comments:

Post a Comment