Thursday, August 9, 2018

The National Show - Warmup

So, after over 7 years back in the hobby, I finally bit the bullet and went to The National Show.  It was held in Cleveland this year and, as luck would have it, my family (despite being Rochestarians originally) lives in the western suburbs of that city.  So, I decided to go visit and hit the show while I was there.  It was a good time and a great experience. I will hold some of my observations until the last post of what I see as a four post series.

My goals for the National were simple: either add some autograohed 1960-1963 Fleer cards to my collection and/or make progress towards completion on my 1956 set, including knocking off that Mickey Mantle card.

This first post isn't, per se, about The National. It really is about the runup to walking up to the first table in Cleveland.

I will periodically check out the biweekly auctions at Kevin Savage Cards.  There were a number of 1956 lots in an auction a week prior to my trip to Cleveland. I bid on several and won one:



This brought me down to needing 21 cards to finish the set.

Prior to the show, one of the online trading stars, Mr Haverkamp, contacted me about meeting up in Cleveland. Saturday was my first day at the show and he was flying home later that afternoon.  So, when I got to the I-X Center I took one lap around the perimeter of the venue in order to get my self oriented (and to allow my overwhelming sense of awe to subside somewhat.) After my stroll, Jim and I met up and talked for a bit. He had also been looking around and assessing the '56 Mantle market for me and showed me a reasonably priced copy that was right in my wheelhouse, price and condition wise.

Additionally, though, he brought a couple of high quality 56s for me:



Now, I already had these two in my set. But, holy smokes, the condition on the cards Jim brought was much, much better than the bedraggled version I already had.  So, both of these cards found there way into the binder when I got home.  I was touched by his generous offer and was pleased that, when I passed him on the show floor later in the day, that he had found the card he had been on the hunt for.  Good things accrue to those that do good deeds. Jim is one of those guys.  Thanks!

What I am listening to: Every Girl by The Turnpike Troubadours (dedicated to my beautiful wife who allowed me to go the National unsupervised)


2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing your recap. And that Pee Wee Reese is a beauty, but I'm sure you already knew that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim made it out to the show? Super jealous. Can't wait to see him again and ask him questions about it.

    ReplyDelete