Sunday, April 14, 2013

Card Show Haul


Yes, I am weak. But, you knew that already.

I left home today in search of an Uwe von Schamann autograph for a friend and planned ahead by taking two of my want lists (1971 Topps and 1960s Fleer) in case I came across any of the 6 remaining 1971s, or two remaining 1963 Fleers, I need to complete the respective sets.  I didn't find any of either, but I still managed to buy some cards. I didn't spend all that much though, so I forgive myself.



 Two more cards towards my 1961 Fleer set.  With these two cards in the binder, I now have 87 out of the 154 cards in the set.






One dealer had a huge number of 1973s and I started to sit down and go through the commons since, even though I left my want list behind, I knew I had almost no cards numbered 500 or greater. Then I reminded myself why I left my want list behind and decided to pick up a few 1973 stars I knew I needed and call it good.

I used to get all the commons up front when building a set and leave the stars to the end.  That proved to be frustrating as I sat at "almost complete", but still had the most expensive cards yet to go  I tend to really get driven when the end gets near, and I found myself overpaying for those star cards.  With 1973, I have a lot of the star cards, lacking only Nolan Ryan, Willie Mays, the Goose Gossage rookie card, and the John Hilton rookie card (the most expensive card in the set a a $150 book value)  I am thinking that an approach where I picks up stars as I find them is better since it is a heck of a lot cheaper to overpay for commons than stars at theend.

So, that is it for now, I suppose.  With these cards above, I officially spent my wad for the month.  Completion of 1971 will need to wait until May now.


3 comments:

  1. Nice pick-ups and might be a good plan to go for the gold, first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice 73 haul... love that Munson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done the "get commons first and stars later" thing, too. In fact, I did it today at my card show. I'm a little better at mixing in the stars now though.

    I saw some '61 Fleers at show. Wish I had a list from you to consult!

    ReplyDelete