Friday, April 19, 2024

Another One Two in the Books

 Or, perhaps more accurately, the binder.


This is the last card I needed to complete the 1958 Topps baseball set.

And this is the last card I needed to complete the 1973 Topps football base set. I still need two more unnumbered team checklists but I've been working on this for over 4 years and I feel like this is an accomplishment. I'll probably just scope out eBay in the next few days and knock those two checklists off. 

Now my focus will be on three sets:  

  • 1972-73 Topps basketball - I only need 23 cards to finish and none of them are all that expensive.  I've been working on this since late 2018, so 5 1/2 years. Time to put it to bed.
  • 1970 Topps Football - I am a little short of 70% complete on this, but have pretty much all of the valuable cards. The only star card left is the Jan Stenerud rookie card.  Everything else is commons with a few minor stars sprinkled in.
  • 1967 Topps Baseball - Ugh.  I am making some progress on this set and am almost 75% complete.  However, 2/3 of the remaining cards are in the sixth and seventh series, so this will be slow.  I expect it will probably be another 2 years at a minimum.
It is supposed to rain tomorrow, so I may try to knock out another signed 1961 Fleet post.

What I am listening to:  Things Change by Dwight Yoakam



7 comments:

  1. Congrats on completing the 1973 Topps football set! If I counted correctly, there are 201 rookie cards in the set. The Topps sets from earlier years were far smaller, so a lot of players got their first cards in 1973.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That number is insane. The thing I noticed is that a lot of the players in the set also had acting careers. I even posted about it.

      Delete
  2. Wow, completing a 1950s flagship set is a major accomplishment. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Completing a set from the 50's is about as impressive as it gets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was vacationing and missed this. Big thumbs up. ... I wonder if 2024 Heritage has 201 rookie cards?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy completed sets! The first vintage football cards I ever saw, or owned, were from the '73 set.

    ReplyDelete