Sunday, December 23, 2012

Favorite Cards of 2012 #9 - An Unexpected Find


Many of you have professed your undying love for discount boxes. And, I have to say, I get it. The act of looking through a box with no goals in mind other than to find something (anything) that appeals to you can be a lot of fun. There is one dealer at the OKC shows that specializes in discount boxes. His dime boxes are just generally base cards thrown into 3200 count boxes without any protection and, from being carried back and forth to show after show, seem a little worse for wear. So, I generally avoid those boxes.

But his quarter, dollar, five and ten dollar box cards are better protected and easier to sort through and I usually do so for some time at each show. I will occasionally find things I need, like a 2004 Fleer Greats insert or the 2009 Obak mini I showed the other day. Other times, look for trade bait and have, on several occasions, looked at y'alls on line want lists on my phone to check if you need the card I am holding. Lastly, I will occasionally find things that just appeal to me, like an Upper Deck Sweet Spot Satchel Paige I found a year or more ago. This is an example of one of the latter cards.


I found this in a $10 box. Now, you might make the case that it isn't worth $10. I don't know what Beckett would think of this and, frankly, I don't care. It is a nice looking autographed card of a Hall of Famer. I have come back to this card several times since I found it and that is what makes it worth the money to me. I have several of Slaughter's playing days cards, but I think this is my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment