Sunday, March 31, 2013

Not All is Doon and Gloom

After a long week, I came home Friday night to find a bubble mailer from the mysteriously named Napkin Doon waiting for me.  I am not sure why he sent me these, but I do appreciate it.  There was some nice cards included.

Let's look, shall we?




Ahh, the ubiquitous Mickey Mantle's that Topps sees fit to include in every set.  I am not a big fan of the way Topps manipulates the photos in Gypsy Queen.  By desaturating the color and adding grain, the subject's uniforms seem to look as if they had never been washed.  You can see what I mean in the Moonshots card.  The base card below it was much better done and is quite sharp looking.  If all of the images in GQ were like that Mantle I would be favorably inclined to build the set.


This, I believe is an 3D insert from last year's Archive set.  This is a really nice card.  Most of the 3D cards I am familiar with, when you tilt them back and forth, the entire image moves.  On this card, only the background does.  The image of Ruth stays static.  Very cool. So cool that this card will be placed in my MOJO!!1!11!1!! binder.  Speaking of my Mojo binder, the star of the package from Nap will also be assigned an honored place:


Well, it will be assigned an honored space if I can find a sheet it fits into.  This Jorge Posada jersey relic would go quite nicely next to a Mariano Rivera relic card I have, except that it is as thick as 6-8 standard cards. So, I am not exactly sure what I am going to do with it.  I really like that the fabric swatch actually includes a pinstripe.  Most jersey relics are single color and boring.  This is probably just about one of the nicest relic cards I have.

As many of you probably read Nap's blog, you know he has taken to sending out unopened packs and, sure enough, I got three!



I may just have to write about busting these open.

What I am listening to:  "Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia

No comments:

Post a Comment