Monday, November 14, 2011

BOBOC - Pack 3


1991 Leaf Series 1

This pack was characterized by managers. Not manager cards, but players that went on to manage, though not all at the Major League level.

137 - Felix Fermin, Cleveland


Felix was your quintessential light hitting shortstop during his MLB career, but went on to manage the Sultanes de Monterrey from 2007 through 2010. Monterrey is a city that I have been to numerous times on business. My impression is that it isn't much of a baseball town. Like much of Mexico, it is a soccer mad city. I can recall once that I scheduled a conference call with folks in Monterrey at time that overlapped with a World Cup game involving the Mexican team. It was made clear to me that my call was going to finish early that day, whetehr I liked it or not. But, I digress....

142 - Erik Hanson, Seattle
147 - Danny Tartabull, KC
152- Joe Orsulak, Baltimore
156 - Damon Berryhill, Chicago Cubs


Damon has spent the last three years managing the Rookie League Ogden Raptors, part of the Dodgers chain.

157 - Gene Larkin, Minnesota
162 - Jim Abbott, California
233 - Luis Quinones, Cincinnati
238 - Will Clark, SF


239 - Albert Belle, Cleveland


243 - Orel Hershiser, LA


244 - Pete O'Brien - Seattle
248 - Dave Johnson, Baltimore
253 - David Cone, NY Mets
258 - Joe Girardi, Chicago Cubs



What can I say? Of the three managers in the pack, Joe here is the only who has managed / is managing at the major league level. He is, of course, the skipper of the Yankees since 2008.

Next up: 1988 Donruss

No comments:

Post a Comment