Sunday, February 3, 2013

Off-Centered Trade

As I stated in yesterday's card show post, I also received a trade package in the mail.

A while back, I decided to try and put together the 1974/75 Loblaws hockey stamp collection I worked on as a kid. I've purchased several large lots of the stickers and had/have a fair amount of duplicates. Justin, over at Off-Centred expressed interest and we worked out a trade where I got four of the T212 mini short prints I needed for my 2009 Obak set.

 Joe Bauman holds the minor league single season home record, with 72 taters for the Roswell Rockets in 1954 (He also hit an even .400 that season.)  Bauman,  a native Oklahoman, never made the majors.

 Jose can you seeeee........


 Bo knows Chicks. Memphis Chicks to be exact.

Bing Crosby never played pro ball, but was part owner of the Hollywood Stars of the Pacific Coast League for a time.

Making progress on Obak is always cool. Not many people collected Obak, so there isn't a lot of ready made trade partners out there.  So, it was pretty thrilling to find out Justin was able to help me tackle my want list.  But, he wasn't done. No sir, he was not.



He set a couple of these Upper Deck Champs cards. I haven't followed hockey in a number of years, but have considered getting back into it. I suppose it seems odd that I would be collecting vintage hockey stickers when I don't follow the sport. But, I have to admit, collecting the Loblaws hockey stickers had more to do with reconnecting with a pleasant part of my childhood rather than the sport itself.  I don't know how to express it, but when I sort through those stickers and paste them in the album, there is a very visceral and emotional connection to my youth. It is almost as if I am there again. It is hard to explain, but I expect that most of the card blogging community, who are approximately the same age as I am, understand.  But, I digress.

I do want to get back into following hockey, butwith the Oklahoma City Thunder being one of the best NBA teams, I have also considered getting back into following basketball.  The problem is that I don't get basketball like I do baseball or, to a lesser extent, hockey.  I mean, I understand the broad rules and play of basketball, but that knowledge really hasn't advanced any since I was a child.  So, I may just have to keep basketball in my peripherals and zero back in on hockey.

If I do, it would be fun to put together the two sets that the two cards above are from. They are pretty sharp cards. I particularly like the bottom card, from the 2008-2009 set.

Finally, Justin sent along, with an apology, the following relic card:




While it is no secret that AJ Burnett never really panned out as a Yankee, I do not share most Yankee fans loathing of the man.  He was always a solid teammate, always took the ball when it was his turn, and never blamed his woes on anyone but himself.  I think he mainly struggled with the hyper media market in New York and let it affect his confidence. When he was pitching well, he was unhittable. But, when things went bad he had a hard time pulling himself back out of the rut.  I really think a loss of confidence coupled with bearing down way too hard was the main issue.

I was very pleased to see the solid season he had last year with Pittsburgh. It started out as a typical AJ season.  He threw 7 innings of 3 hit, shutout ball in his first start of the season, and then gave up 6 hits and 2 earned runs in a 6 inning loss in his second start.  His third start was a clanker though.  He gave up 12 (twelve!) earned runs in 2.2 innings.  I was afraid his season was going down the tubes already.  But, he got back on track right quick and was the legitimate ace of the Buc's staff the rest of the season.  With Russell Martin now joining Burnett on the Pirates, I think I am going to adopt them as my NL team this season.

So, this card will take a place of honor in a binder on the same sheet as my Robinson Cano and CC Sabathia A&G relics.  No need to apologize, Justin, I love this card! A most excellent trade. Thank you!

What I am listening to: Green Onions by Booker T and the MGs.

1 comment:

  1. I like that Bauman card a lot but I really wish it said Roswell on the front.

    Those Champ's sets have minis just like the A&G and Obak but I didn't have any Rangers.

    Glad you liked the Burnett! In all honesty, it's a nice looking card. I like how he's posing with the ball.

    ReplyDelete