Saturday, February 2, 2013

February's Mini-Card Show Mini-Haul



I did end up going to the card show up at Al's Sportscards in Edmond. There was only 5 dealers there, which is only a slight decrease from the normal 6 to 7.  One of my main connections for vintage goodness, Bill from Wichita, wasn't there today. So, I only spent about an hour at the show, spending about $50 on 8 cards.  I was hoping to knock off some 1971s, but didn't find any. My backup plan for 1960s Fleer cards also failed. But, for the most part, I did stick close to my collecting wheelhouse.


I got two of the 1968 Topps game cards. I now have 19 of the 33 cards in that insert series.


There was also one guy there who had a box of vintage cards for $5 each. I pawed through for the best condition cards and got the 3 above. I probably overpaid for the Gilliam, but feel like I got a screaming deal on the Roberts. Pedro, is the 49th 1956 card in my collection. Coincidentally, the card number is also 49.  Woooooo!!!!! Spooky!!!!!!   He had another 6 1956 cards that were in decent shape except for some obvious water stains near the bottom. After some deliberation, I decided to put them back and reserve any leftover funds for the March OKC show. 



I also picked up a couple of 1973s. I have already started on 1973, after a fashion, with a big trade with Ted of the now mothballed Crinkly Wrappers last year. So, even though I have vowed to not start 73 in earnest until I finish 71, I did get these two since they were being sold for a great price considering their condition.

And now we come to my one big purchase, which set me back 20 bones.


Granted I am not working on 1972 at the moment, even nominally. But, I will probably get to it late this year or early in 2014, so I didn't wander that far in the weeds with this pickup. But, I really have a hard time leaving a playing-days Willie Mays behind.  I actually now 7 playing-days cards of the Say Hey Kid (1962, 1969, 1969 Deckle Edge, 1971, 1972, 1973 Topps, and 1963 Fleer.)

So, overall, I am happy with my short stay at the show. But, the day was to get better when I found a trade package in the mail. More on that tomorrow.

What I am listening to:  Last Thing I Needed First Thing This Morning by Willie Nelson.




1 comment: