Friday, August 28, 2020

Miscellany - NonSports Edition

Two posts in the same week?  I am back, baby!  Okay, not really.  But I did manage to find a couple of cards I needed for my non-sports tobacco card collection.




This is the final card I needed to complete my 25 card 1889 Kinney N230 Famous English Running Horses set. It is diamond cut and a bit short side-to-side.  I don't know if it has been trimmed, but I am not trying to put together a high grade set, so it doesn't really matter. I am mainly looking for affordable eye appeal and this has it. Now I need to get serious about N229 (Famous American Running Horses) and N231 (Great American Trotters.) I have exactly 3 and 1 from these sets, respectively.  They seem much harder to come by. eBay searches turn up a lot of N230; considerably fewer of the other two. But, that is what the chase is for, no?


This my 10th card from the 1890 Allen & Ginter N18 Parasol Drill set.  It is a 50 card set, so I have a long way to go.

What I am listening to: The Saint of Lost Causes by Justin Townes Earle






Its been a depressing week.  I am saddened by the loss of Justin Townes Earle, but even more so by watching our nation come unraveled and the feeling of helplessness that is engendering.  Even the arrival of these cards above didn't really lift this despondency I am struggling with.  In a likely apocryphal statement, Winston Churchill is said to have stated that "The Americans can always be trusted to do the right thing, once all other possibilities have been exhausted."  I hope that we can find the will, and the leaders, to move beyond this moment to a more perfect union.  

1 comment:

  1. Yeah. It has been a crazy week, but at least it's getting people to stop and realize that our world isn't perfect and that there is room for growth/change. Still there have been more than a few days during the past six months where I plopped in my chair and felt completely disheartened by all of the bad stuff that has happened.

    ReplyDelete