Saturday, September 16, 2017

1961 Fleer Autograph Project - Part 8

Life is hectic around here.  I'm trying to get ready to go on our now-annual fall pilgrimage back to Ohio to visit family and spend a weekend at Cedar Point. Additionally, one of our horses foundered seriously a couple weeks ago and it has been a bit of a struggle, with multiple visits from the vet and the farrier, to get her stabilized.  So, I am going to knock one more out before I likely go back on radio silence for a few weeks.

Here is the 8th autographed 1961 Fleer I have added to my collection.  It cost me the crazy low price of $23.49 delivered.


Charlie Gehringer was the stalwart second baseman for the Detroit Tigers for a 16 year period from 1926 through 1941.   Over a 19 year career, he put up a .320/.404/.480 slash line with 2839 hits, an MVP win in 1937 (when he barely edged out Joe Dimaggio), and a World Series win in 1935.

In reading his SABR biography, I found an interesting tidbit about his later life. Apparently, as one of the oldest living ballplayers (at the time) he was overwhelmed with autograph requests.  Since many of those requests were from folks who intended to resell them, Gehringer began to charge for autographs. His friend, baseball writer Jim Hawkins, said “Ninety-five percent of the requests were from people planning to resell Charlie's autograph......That was when and why Charlie began charging for autographs and requesting that all such mail be sent to me. We did so until the end of his life. But believe me, he didn't do it for the money. He did it for his quality of life and peace of mind.”

What I am listening to: Factory Girl by The Chieftans with Sinead O'Connor.


1 comment:

  1. Gehringer has a beautiful signature... and that price is awesome. Hope your horse feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete