Saturday, September 9, 2017

1961 Fleer Autograph Project - Part 7

It is time to move on to the 1961s.  I thought I had a couple of additional 1960s on the way, but that didn't work out. I went against my better judgement and deviated from my plan to only add 1960 and 1961 cards if the autograph had been authenticated by a reputable organization.  The two I won were in raw condition. My intent was to have them authenticated.  However, before I spent a tidy sum on authentication, I submitted them online to PSA for a Quick Opinion, which only costs $10 each. Both came back as "Likely not Genuine," so they are being returned for a refund.  Lesson learned: stick with the plan.

Anyways, on to the seventh autographed 1961 Fleer card I acquired:


It cost me $28.27 delivered.  Lloyd Waner was born in Oklahoma a year before statehood in Harrah, a rural community on the east side of Oklahoma City and a 30-40 minute drive from where I live.  In fact, our farrier lives in Harrah. Interestingly, one of Harrah’s rivals was Meeker High School, which is about 20 miles further away. The star player for that school was pitcher Carl Hubbell.

Lloyd, like his brother Paul, is in the Hall of Fame.  Although, modern statistics don't really favor Lloyd. He has a career WAR of 24.1 and an OPS+ of 111. Clearly, a better than replacement level player, but not what modern observers would consider a lock for HOF admission.  If you wish to read more about Lloyd, here is his SABR biography.


What I am listening to:  Low Rider by War


1 comment:

  1. Wow. PSA charges $10 for a quick opinion? That's crazy. Congratulations on grabbing the Waner. He's got a nice signature and when you consider that it's already been slabbed, it's a solid deal.

    ReplyDelete