Thursday, February 12, 2015

With a Little Cash Thrown In


I mentioned in my last post that my trade of the 1938 Goudey Jimmy Foxx included some added cash in addition to the 1956 Topps Jackie Robinson and Roberto Clemente.  So, what did I do with that added cash?  I added a new card to my Johnny Antonelli player collection:

This is a 1958 Hires Root Beer test issue.  This is part of a rare 8 card test issue that preceded the more familiar Hires Root Beer "knothole" set. Antonelli is featured in that set, as well, and I featured that card a couple of years ago in this post.


I haven't added many new cards to this PC in a while, although I still lack a commonly available card of his, the 1952 Topps issue.  There is another card of his that I am aware of, a 1954 NY Journal card/ticket that I have seen on EBay, but never at a price I am comfortable paying.  I am continually keeping my eye out for cards for this PC, but I think I am getting close to wrapping it up.

Speaking of PC, additions to my Paul Blair player collection have similarly slowed down to a near halt.  Several months ago, I did see a Paul Blair card I never even knew existed.

It is from the 1981 The Franchise set featuring members of the 1966 Baltimore Orioles. I haven't found much information about this set, though I haven't looked very hard.  From what I can gather from a short blurb in the 2011 Standard Catalog, it was generally a regional issue that focused on special interest subjects.

My Blair PC now consists of 109 unique cards.  I am similarly finding it unusual to see anything I don't have. Even when I do find something new to me, like several of the Topps Venezuelan cards, they are out of my price range.  I do have some OPC cards yet to add and should start looking around for them.

To continue this stream of consciousness for another paragraph, I am considering starting a PC of famous Oklahoman players not named Mickey Mantle.  I would start out with Allie Reynolds, Paul and Lloyd Waner, and Warren Spahn.  Granted, Spahn was born in Buffalo, NY he is considered an Okie having lived out his retirement in Broken Arrow, not too far from Tulsa.

Coming up:  Progress on a mini-set that I started a year back or so.

What I am listening to:  Burning Bridges by Lucinda Williams



1 comment: