Sunday, November 18, 2012

Wax On....Wax Off




When most people think of career leader in hit-by-pitches, their thoughts naturally gravitate to Ron Hunt. However, Hunt is not the career leader in HBP. It is Hughie Jennings, who had 287 HBPs to Hunt's 243.  Jennings also nudges out Hunt for the single season HBP record, 51 to 50.  Hughie achieved that during the 1896 season, where he also hit for a .401 BA.  He had an incredible .472 OBP that year, 85 points of which were contributed by hit by pitches.

Other fun HBP facts:
  1. Ron Hunt is only sixth on the caeer hit by pitch leader board.  He is behind Jennings (above), Craig Biggio, Tommy Tucker, Don Baylor,and Jason Kendall.
  2. I've not been able to find a number for all the walk-off HBP in MLB history.  I am guessing there is some way to query the Baseball Reference database to figure it out, but I don't subscribe to the site, so I am not sure I can figure it out.
  3. Biggio, with 285 HBP, finished his career only two behind Jennings.  The stress of getting close to the record apparently contributed to his career ending, according to this news report.
  4. The most famous hit-by-pitch occurred on February 20, 1992, when Homer Simpson had a walk-off HBP to give the Springfield Power Plant team the city championship.

That is all for now. If anyone is proficient with the PI Index at Baseball Reference that can help me, drop me a line.

What I am listening to:  How to Love Me by Kristen Ward

3 comments:

  1. The Onion and the Simpson's in one post. Bravo, my man, Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... and a Karate Kid reference. That's an early Thanksgiving feast, is what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you're just lucky I didn't tee off on that crass spectacle called Topps Five Star Club. I had a Weird Al Yankovic reference all teed up for that one.

    ReplyDelete