Monday, November 16, 2020

And...Done!

 It has been a year, hasn't it?   Two weeks ago, the final week in October mind you, we had an ice storm here. I lost so many branches.  I've spend a good part of the last two weeks cleaning up.  It wouldn't be so bad except that I was only about 75% done with the clean up from the July wind storm that took out 8 or so large oak trees.  Needless to say, I've spent a lot of time operating a chain saw. But, you aren't here for the "woe is me" stories.

Getting those TCMAs from Night Owl really got me excited about finishing that set.  A few eBay purchases and a visit to Sportlots and, with these Hank Aaron and Brooks Robinson cards, I am now done.



I knocked off most of the want list buying a large lot of these on eBay. I now have close to 250 duplicates for this set.  If anyone is interested, I will gladly pay them forward.  All I ask is you throw a few pesos my way for shipping.

I also have completed a couple of Twitter trades.  On the first, with a person who goes by the handle Baseball Card Kid, I was able to help him finish out his run of Thurman Munson cards and, in exchange, I got a Ken Griffey Dairy Isle disk. I already had the Islay's version, so it is pretty cool to have a variation. I also got this 1967 Phil Niekro.  This is my fifth card from that year, so I only have 604 to go.


The second trade was with Twitter user Lanny Ribes.  I was able help him with some vintage needs, including 4 cards from 1956 Topps and I got 7 cards from 1955 back.








With these cards I am down to only needing 23 cards to finish 1955 Topps.  Unfortunately, 10 of those are star cards, including the Roberto Clemente rookie card.  That card would be a really stretch under normal circumstances, but in this current price bubble I am pretty sure it is well outside my budget.  But, I am excited about getting closer to finishing the set.

There was a big card show in Dallas last weekend, but I decided not to go. I went last year and had a great time, but the COVID19 situation down here is getting worse. I am not sure how it is elsewhere, but in the Oklahoma/Texas area there is a big overlap between the card collecting community and the subset of citizens who think coronavirus falls somewhere in the range of "not serious" to "hoax." Reports were that the show was packed, so I am glad I didn't throw myself into that Petri dish. 

There is a show next weekend here in OKC, and I am on the fence about going. Obviously, the risks are the same that caused me to bail on Dallas. Though, being sandwiched between Dallas and Christmas it may very well be lightly attended. I'd like to see if I can pick up a '55 star card or two. I've got some KN95 masks, so maybe I'll throw one on and make a quick visit.  I'll need to see what the state's virus numbers look like over the remainder of the week.


What I am listening to: Wouldn't Want to Be Like You by Sheryl Crow and St. Vincent


4 comments:

  1. We just entered the "purple" tier here in San Jose (actually Santa Clara County)... which is the worst color to be in. But I think most of us have known it was coming. Numbers have been soaring around here. There's suppose to be a mall card show near SF in January... but I'll go out on a limb and say it'll be cancelled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spurred you on to finish that? I'm honored.

    I've still got a ways to go, obviously, since I've put it on the shelf for now.

    I'm in one of the few "safe" states, although the numbers are going up, too. They've been clamping down on everything for months, there have been zero card shows to go to. I thought I found one a month ago, about 2 hours away, and then they canceled that one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done. I haven't been to a card show in years, miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your year sounds a lot like mine. Thanks to a windstorm that produced 95 mph winds, and a microburst, I've been cleaning up fallen trees off and on for most of the year. And I can honestly say that at this point, I'm very tired of chainsawing!

    ReplyDelete