Thursday, January 10, 2019

Christmas Comes Late

I got one of my Christmas presents today.


While I am mainly a vintage collector, occasionally a modern set will cach my fancy.  2000 through 2004 Fleer Greats of the Game fall into that category.  As does the 2009 through 2011 Tristar Obak sets that were issued to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the original T212 Obak tobacco cards.  Back in December, I happened across an uncut sheet of the 2011 Obak cards on eBay for a less than $50 delivered. So, I got it and took it in to be framed. I got it back today.

It is not the complete base set, just the regular print run cards.   The 2011 base set consisted of 120 cards, the last 10 of which were short prints.  This sheet is the other 110 cards.

The Obak sets were mainly normal sized trading cards, but each included a subset of T212 minis, which were essentially duplicates of some of the main set cards, but in the size of the 1909-1911 tobacco card originals.  For some reason, I had it in my mind that the sheet was the minis, though I have no earthly idea why I thought that. Since this the full size base set, it is huge.  I am going to have to think about how/where to put it in my home office/card room.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic piece! That would look great in any room or office.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Tristar Obak! Been looking for a cheap box of their 2009 stuff to bust for a few years now.

    ReplyDelete