Tuesday, May 12, 2015

New Player Collections

I am primarily a set builder, but I am getting to the point where that is going to be a struggle.  I have three sets underway right now: 1956, 1975, and 1979 Topps.  The latter two are the final vintage sets I intend to collect that were issued in a single series.  Everything I do from here on out will involve multiple series. Which means I can look forward to scarcity and, consequently, high prices and long waits.

I need something to keep me active in the hobby in those long dry spells that set builders face.  I could go after some oddball sets, like the 1970s SSPC and TCMA sets, but as much as I like those sets, they aren't catching my interest at the moment.  My two player collections, Paul Blair and Johnny Antonelli are far enough along that I only add a few cards a year to either (and maybe not even that going forward.)

What to do? What to do?

Well, I decided to start another player collection. Actually, two player collection.  As a non-native, but proud, Oklahoman I have toyed with the idea of PCs of famous Oklahoman ballplayers not named Mantle.  Three candidates have come to mind: Lloyd and Paul Waner along with Allie Reynolds.   All three offer the benefit of a mixture of both vintage and modern cards to collect, but I thought 3 would be too much to take on.  So, I am going to focus on the Waner brothers for now, since their cards seem to travel in pairs.

So far, I have compiled what I think is a fairly comprehensive list of cards issued of Lloyd Waner, which total 239 cards.  The breakdown by decades is as follows:

  • 1920s - 13
  • 1930s - 37
  • 1940s - 3
  • 1950s - 2
  • 1960s - 3
  • 1970s - 13
  • 1980s - 21
  • 1990s - 14
  • 2000s - 36
  • 2010s - 97
These cards are also a mix of brand names and oddball sets, so it should be fun. I am still compiling the Paul Waner list. I expect it to be fairly similar although I expect less of the cut-auto cards since Paul died in 1965 while Lloyd carried on until 1982.

Anyways, enough said.  Here is the start of my collection: those Waner cards that were extant in my collection:





Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment