That pretty much says it all about my 2014 as a collector. There were a two main reasons for this. First, I was busy as all get-out at work. The first nine months were a great time to be in the Oil and Gas industry and I was consumed at the office. Second, was my self-imposed insistence that I only work on one major set at a time. Sure I work others in the margin, but when it comes to flagship sets, I have only worked one at a time. Alas, now that I am getting into the sets that were issued in series, thus having to deal with rare high numbers, the time it takes to complete a set is elongated (as you will see.)
So, what is the 4-1-1 on my year?
Sets I wanted to complete:
- 1960 Fleer - Nope. Although I only need one more card to complete it (26 - Bob Feller)
- 1973 Topps - Nope. When I reviewed my years goals, I got disgusted with my lack of accomplishment. As luck would have it, someone was advertising a lot of 1973 high numbers for sale on Net54Baseball. I contacted him and was able to strike a deal for all of the remaining base cards I needed, high number or not. Alas, the package is still in transit as of New Years. Additionally, I still need 18 of the 24 unnumbered team checklists. Added note: 1973 was also on my 2013 list of sets I wanted to complete.
- 1975 Topps - Nope. I did start it though. I had taken some birthday money to a local card shop and had started pawing through boxes of commons, when I came across a box of a near complete set of NM 1975 commons. I stopped my painstaking search and struck a deal with the owner for that box. As it stands, I am 43 cards (most stars and minor stars) away from completing this set
- 2004 Fleer Greats of the Game - Nope. I am chosing to ignore the blue parallels, auto cards, and Yankee Clippings insert set, and so only had 4 cards to go from the Forever insert set to call this one complete. I managed to snag two of them. I still have Fernando Valenzuela and Ryne Sandberg still to go.
- 1961 Fleer - Barely. I picked up a few cards here and there, but still am sitting at about 2/3 complete.
- 1972 Topps - Nope
- 2009 Obak - Picked up a few cards, mainly T212 minis. I think I knocked off only 1 of the 10 short prints I needed.
- 1963 Fleer Autograph Project - My one success this year. I wanted to get to the half-way point (33 autographed cards) and I made it to 35. And I still haven't done any TTMs after The Lost Collector sent me a list of addresses for players featured in the '63 Fleer set.
- 1955 and 1956 Topps - Nothing on 1955, but I did find a source for high quality (EX or better) 1956 commons for $4 each. I managed to get up to the 46% complete level before some other collector bought all of the dealers '56 commons out from under me. Jerk.
So, to recap, my 2014 as a hobbyist: