Friday, February 25, 2011

Announcing His Presence With Authority


I pulled this card out of a pack of 2011 Topps today. It is 2010 AL Rookie of the Year, Neftali Feliz of the Texas Rangers.



I am posting this because, in 2009, I was in the stands for Feliz's AAA debut. It was April 10, 2009 and the Oklahoma Redhawks were hosting the Memphis Redbirds in the second game of the season opening series. Off the top of my head, I really don't remember much of the game, except that Feliz was throwing pitches that topped 100 MPH, which pretty much got the crowd buzzing. Looking at the box score for the game, I can see that Feliz was the starting pitcher for OKC. In four innings of work, Feliz struck out four, gave up 4 hits and 6 base on balls, but allowed no earned runs. I can't help but think that, it was something of a Nuke LaLoosh performance. Although, to his credit, he didn't hit Rowdy.

On a marginally related note, Rowdy is the Redhawk's mascot. Here is a picture I took of him signing autographs at a game on May 1, 2010 (click the image for a larger version.)

That game was also, believe it or not, Chewbacca Night. You read that right, Chewbacca Night at the Bricktown Ballpark. But, I will save that for another blog post in the next few days. Suffice it to say that I love minor league baseball.

No comments:

Post a Comment