Monday, June 24, 2024

Back from Vacation Throwaway Post

 We got home yesterday after a week and a half away.  It was a nice trip, though nothing fancy.  We went back to Ohio and visited with our families. The first weekend, my nephew got married in downtown Cleveland the same day as the Rolling Stones concert.  I've seen the Stones three times in my life, though not since 2003.  I'm not much for nostalgia acts, so I have no interest in seeing them again.  It was a little disconcerting seeing folks walking with canes wearing Stones t-shirts, but I guess it should be expected since Mick Jagger is 81.

Anyways, after the wedding we had a good time touring the William J Mather steamship, spent a day at Cedar Point, and did a behind the scenes tour of the Ohio Reformatory where the Shawshank Redemption was filmed.  My wife collects midcentury modern barware so we hit a bunch of antique stores while we were there. And, as luck would have it, there was actually a midcentury barware show in Lancaster, Ohio this past weekend.  It took place over three days, but we were only there for Saturday.  If it is held again, we'll probably stay for the whole thing.  

So, as you might expect, the car was stuffed with all sorts of barware for the drive home.  My hobby spending has been non-existent for the last month in anticipation of the trip and will continue to be so through the summer since I need to buy hay for this coming winter.  But I did manage to find one thing I had to have while we were going through antique stores.


A 2007 CC Sabathia bobblehead!  I have no idea what the story is behind this, but for $5 I couldn't leave it behind. I see that later this summer, CC will be inducted into the Guardians Hall of Fame.

The biggest news in the sports world while I was out of town was the passing of Willie Mays.  I was reading Night Owl's reaction to Mays' death and his notice of the remaining greats of the past.  The second card he showed was Rocky Colavito, which brought to mind this item that I acquired just before I shut down my hobby spending in May.


This Sport magazine from September 1960 is signed by both Mays and Colavito and came with a JSA certification.  Apparently, signed magazines aren't in much demand in the hobby as this only cost me $100.  Not a small sum, to be sure, but it seems worth it to have the autograph of one of the all-time greats.

What I am listening to:  Feel it Still by Portugal.  The Man.



1 comment:

  1. That Ohio Reformatory tour sounds really cool. I'm a big fan of the Shawshank Redemption. The disco CC bobble is interesting. I bet the story behind it is pretty interesting too.

    ReplyDelete