Sunday, January 28, 2024

How Did That Work Out For You?

  Do you ever just feel like the hobby gods are trying to send you a message? 

I have mentioned a couple things here recently.  First, I am not particularly fond of 1967 Topps.  It is just a bland, uninspired set both front and back.  Second, a while back I bought a lot of collector grade 1966 and 1967 cards with the intent of getting a jump start on my '66 set build. But, I ended up with only 20% of the '66 set and over a third of '67.

Moving on to yesterday, the local OKC show was actually held at the county fairgrounds here in Norman.  A 10 minute drive instead of 45 minutes.  I was a little skeptical as it was held in the same building that hosts livestock shows, which means there is a dirt arena right smack in the middle.  But, it ended up okay.  The show was well attended by sellers and the aisles were nice and wide.  Other than it being a little cold in the building I couldn't ask for more.

My intent was to look for 1966 commons, find the last 3 cards I need for my 1973 football set and some of the last 5 cards I need for my 1958 baseball set.  I failed on all three counts. However, my normal go-to vintage dealer had a 5000 count box of...you guessed it... 1967 Topps.  So, I started going through and found a significant number of cards I needed.  The seller cut me a good deal and I was on my way home. 

In the end, I found nearly 160 cards and I am now sitting at 62% complete on the set.  So, am I working the set?  I guess so.  But, there are challenges ahead.  I have none of the major star cards outside Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, and well-loved Whitey Ford and Roger Maris cards.  I also have exactly zero high number cards and only 26 of the 76 semi-high numbers.  

Because I am a glutton for punishment, I decided to look a bit at statistics for the set and where I am in terms of completion.  There are 609 cards in the set and when I looked it last their total Beckett high book value added up to $8,477.00.  That works out to $13.92 per card.  My progress is 379 cards with book value of $1,856 or $4.90 per card.  Math tells me I have 230 cards to go with a average book value of $28.78.  Ugh. So, while I guess I am working the set, my level of ambivalence hasn't changed any.

Anyways, whining isn't the sole reason for this post.  When I am at a show, I generally look for card numbers on my want list, check condition, and either set aside or put back.  For some reason, I took a look at the back of the Ed Brinkman card.


Obviously, 57 years later we know that Ed never developed into one of the American League's big stars.  He never hit consistently well, but did manage to stay in the starting lineup for 11 years out of 15 he played in the majors.  He is considered one of the finest fielding shortstops of his era, but only won 1 Gold Glove in his career because he was playing at the same time as one of the finest fielding shortstops in all of baseball history, Mark Belanger.

In a sad similarity, both Belanger and Brinkman died young (54 and 66 respectively) due to lung cancer.

What I am listening to: The Flood by Charles Wesley Godwin




7 comments:

  1. It's surprising that Topps produced such an uninspired baseball set in 1967. The 1967 Topps AFL football set has a colorful psychedelic 60s design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1967 Football is an attractive set. It is a bit of foreshadowing of 1972 baseball.

      Delete
  2. You know I disagree on your take on '67 Topps, it falls in line with all the other minimal '60s Topps designs except it's BETTER. ... I've got 77% the set complete but I've been "working" on it for like seven years and I'll probably never get it finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my objection is that the colors on most of the cards are washed out, as if the pictures were all taken on a cloudy day. In fact, if you ever run a Name That Set contest for 1967 that will be my entry: The Cloudy Day Set.

      I took a look at your want list. Looks like it is those high numbers that are confounding you also. Yesterday, I did not see one high number card in that 5000 count box. Crazy.

      Delete
  3. Tough to find (or expensive) high numbers will always stop me in my tracks when it comes to set builds. That's what happened with the 1972 Topps baseball set. I ended up just finding a reasonably priced complete set... instead of building it myself. Best of luck on the set build though.

    Just curious... did the building smell like livestock? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. This time of year, it is mainly used for a flea market on weekends.

      Delete
  4. Looking on the bright side, this should at least keep you out of trouble for a while -- and always give you something to look for at shows; especially once you complete a couple of those other sets.

    ReplyDelete