Monday, August 24, 2015

Fleer Autograph Project - Part 46



I got this card off of EBay, but it represents something of a challenge.  I originally submitted a card to a recent Chris Potter signing with Spangler, however they misplaced my card and it didn't turn up until after the signing was over.  I have been planning to send a card out TTM for signature, but have been terribly busy and haven't gotten around to it. I may do so yet, as I have a preference for blue Sharpie over ballpoint pen, but I am excited about getting this anyways.

This is, as the title states, the 46th card from the 66 card 1963 Fleer set that I have autographed.  I have another one out TTM and a second out to a private signing, but I am pretty sure neither will end up happening.

When I send out TTMs I always enclose a hand written letter talking about things I find interesting about the player's career.  What caught my eye about Spangler was that he was not a power hitter, having only 21 taters across 2616 career plate appearances, but he did collect a good portion of his career homers off of Hall of Fame pitchers.  He tallied 5 homers total (1 each) off of Jim Bunning, Don Drysdale, Bob Gibson, Warren Spahn, and Don Sutton.  That isn't alot, to be sure. But, it does represent 24% of his career totals.

No comments:

Post a Comment