Friday, April 17, 2015

Fleer Autograph Project - Part 41

I had a bit of a dry spell on this project the last few weeks. I did get this card back on Wednesday.


My research into Amalfitano's career turned up something interesting about his early career.  In his first season in the majors (1954), he made 9 appearances; 6 as a pinch runner.  In the other three appearances, he managed 5 plate appearances which resulted in 4 strikeouts and no hits.  The following season, he was on the Giants roster all season.  However, through August 7, he had made only 24 appearances, of which 21 were as a pinch runner.  However, he had what must have been a rookie thrill on August 7th, in the second game of a doubleheader against Cincinnati. He entered the game in the middle of the first, subbing in for starting shortstop, Al Dark.  The game was mostly uneventful for him until the seventh inning when he got his first MLB hit,  a single off Jackie Collum. He was out on a fielders choice the next batter.  In the top of the 9th inning, with the score tied at 5-5,he hit a double off Gerry Staley. He advanced to third on a sacrifice bunt by Whitey Lockman, and scored what turned out to be the winning run on a sacrifice fly by Willie Mays.

What was neat about this TTM is that Amalfitano returned my letter and had written on it that he remembers that day.  I have wondered if the people I send these cards to actually read the letter. In this particular case, he did.

As it stands, I still have 6 cards out for signature (3 TTM and 3 public signings). I have another going out this weekend.  Hopefully, I'll have more back soon!
 
What I am listening to:  Factory Girl by The Chieftains with SinĂ©ad O'Connor


1 comment: